Exploring 12:51: Chef James Cochran’s Culinary Haven in Islington, London
- Chef James Cochran’s Background: Chef James Cochran, with his unique heritage from St. Vincent in the Caribbean and Glasgow, Scotland, grew up in Whitstable, Kent. His diverse background is reflected in the eclectic and innovative dishes he creates. James Cochran started his culinary journey at Wheeler’s Oyster Bar and later refined his skills at the prestigious two-Michelin-starred The Ledbury under mentor Brett Graham, before leading the kitchen at the Michelin-starred gastropub, The Harwood Arms【18†source】.
- Renowned Achievements: Cochran opened 12:51 in Islington, north London, in 2018, a significant year as he also won the BBC’s Great British Menu during that time. His culinary expertise led him to repeat this victory in 2020. Additionally, he has been recognized as the Eater London Chef of The Year. Beyond 12:51, James Cochran also operates Around the Cluck, which offers a gourmet twist on classic fried chicken takeaway【18†source】.
- Location of 12:51: Situated in the heart of London, 12:51 is located at 107 Upper Street in Islington, London N1 1QN, offering a central and accessible dining experience for patrons【19†source】.
- Operating Hours: The restaurant welcomes diners from Tuesday to Thursday between 5pm and 10pm. On Fridays, it operates in two shifts: lunch from 12pm to 3pm and dinner from 5pm to 10pm. Saturdays see continuous service from 12pm to 10pm, and on Sundays, the restaurant is open from 12pm to 8pm. It remains closed on Mondays【20†source】.
- Culinary Style and Menu: Chef Cochran’s menu at 12:51 is a testament to his diverse culinary background and expertise. The dishes showcase a mix of influences, reflecting his Caribbean and Scottish heritage, combined with the high culinary standards he mastered at renowned Michelin-starred restaurants. The menu at 12:51 is known for its creativity, flavor combinations, and presentation, making it a distinct culinary destination in London.