Zoë Coombs-Marr Returns: The Opener – Dave Awakens to a Changed World
- Zoë Coombs-Marr, an incredibly talented Australian comedian, is making a triumphant return to the UK this summer with her critically acclaimed show, The Opener. It will be the first time the show is performed in the UK, and audiences in Edinburgh and London will have the opportunity to experience her unique brand of comedy.
- In The Opener, Zoë portrays a character named Dave, who is described as one of the worst open mic hacks. Dave is making his first appearance in the UK since waking up from a coma in 2016. The show takes a humorous and thought-provoking look at how Dave reacts to the significant changes and events that have occurred in the world during his time in a coma.
- Dave, the character played by Zoë, has missed out on major global events and cultural shifts, including the Covid pandemic, the Me Too movement, Black Lives Matter, controversies surrounding trans rights and TERFS, the Trump presidency, the fight for marriage equality, discussions on cultural appropriation, the rise of body positivity, the popularity of TikTok, the phenomenon of micro dosing, and even Dave Chappelle’s Netflix specials.
- Zoë Coombs-Marr is widely regarded as one of Australia’s most accomplished comedians. She is known for her ability to blend silliness with intelligence, creating shows that defy traditional comedy genres and expectations. Her previous show, Trigger Warning, featuring a similar character named Dave, became a sensation in 2016, earning her accolades such as a Melbourne Comedy Festival Award and a nomination for Best Show at the Edinburgh Comedy Awards.
- With her show Bossy Bottom, which she performed at various festivals, Zoë continued to garner praise and success. The show was later filmed and released internationally on Amazon Prime Video in 2020, further expanding her audience. In the UK, she has made appearances on Channel 4’s Harry Hill’s Club Nite and has had multiple successful runs at the prestigious Soho Theatre.