5 things to do – Friday 30th November 2018 #London #Cornwall #Travel #Christmas #NYE
- Private Fly, private jet company is offering an exclusive discount price of £877 per person to fly by private jet this ski season. Compared to the price of an economy ticket of £627, for an extra £250 this is a once in a lifetime offer to fly by private jet on holiday! Prices are valid from 1st Dec to 28th Feb 2019 flying from Luton to Geneva airport.
- Christmas Dining at Royal China. Have yourself a Cantonese-inspired Christmas this year with Royal China’s special Christmas Menus this December. With restaurants in prime locations across London, Royal China Group is offering a range of traditional Cantonese feasts to celebrate the festive season.
- Wright Brothers Launch The Ultimate Festive Feast To Enjoy At Home This Christmas. Wright Brothers know a thing or two about providing a seafood feast to impress. This Christmas, they are putting together the Ultimate Seafood Feast – ideal for simple but luxurious entertaining during the festive season. Available for delivery or collection, the seafood platter is gift wrapped and complete with favourites including; a whole lobster, Jersey oysters, dressed crab, langoustines, Atlantic prawns, clams, whelks and mussels as well as Wright Brothers’ London Cure smoked salmon, blinis, creme fraiche and a decadent 10g tin of Adamas Italian caviar.
- Make Mini Meringue Mince Pies from Bryn Williams. Recipe for his mini meringue mince pies, as seen at Odette’s and Bryn Williams at Somerset House. See below for recipe.
- Spend a glittering New Year break in Cornwall – from £275 pp with Pride of Britain Hotels. xpect champagne, canapés, delicious feasts and spectacular entertainment this New Year at The Headland Hotel and Spa, a luxury hotel with private cottages set on an exclusive clifftop overlooking Cornwall’s Fistral Beach. Guests arrive on 30 December to a cocktail reception, followed by a three-course dinner and a glamorous casino night. On New Year’s Eve, the fun begins with an afternoon quiz and a party for little ones, before a black-tie gala, consisting of a Champagne reception, a buffet and live music from award-winning local ensemble Swing Empire and the hotel’s resident DJ.
Make up to a year in advance.
Makes 2 kg
250g suet (minced)
250g mixed peel (chopped)
250g apples (grated)
250g soft brown sugar
10g mixed spice
1.5 orange grated zest and juice
1 lemon grated and juice
60 ml rum
60 ml brandy
40 ml whiskey
Mix all the ingredients together and store in sterile Kilner jars in the fridge. For the first month, mix every 2-3 days.
Meringue topped mini mince pies
1 packet of pre-rolled shortcrust pastry
2 medium free range egg whites
100g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 and grease a 24-hole mini muffin/tart tin with butter. Use a 6cm round cutter to cut out 24 circles of pastry. Carefully press the pastry into the greased tin.
- Fill each pastry case with mincemeat and bake the mince pies for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the meringue topping. Use an electric whisk to whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, then add sugar 1tbsp at a time, continuing to whisk
- When the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks, spoon into a piping bag with plain nozzle.
- Remove the pies from the oven and reduce oven temperature to 140°C, gas mark 1.
- Top each one with a swirl of meringue, then return to the oven for 10 minutes until golden. Serve warm or cold and store in an airtight container.